Location: Ithaca, NY
The Ithaca Downtown Business Improvement District (IDBID), is a State of New York chartered 501c3 not-for-profit organization charged with the revitalization, development, promotion and management of downtown Ithaca. The DIBID operates as the Downtown Ithaca Alliance (DIA).
The Downtown Ithaca Alliance has adopted the following vision statement to guide its work and operation:
- Downtown Ithaca is the economic, social, and cultural heart of Tompkins County.
- The Downtown Ithaca Business Improvement District will strive to preserve and develop the central downtown core as the region’s center for banking and finance, business and professional offices, government and community services, downtown residences, and as a retail destination highlighted by specialty shops, restaurants, arts and entertainment.
- Downtown serves people who live and work downtown, city and county residents, college communities, area visitors and tourists.
Founded in 1997 as the Downtown Ithaca Business Improvement District.
The DIA is governed by a 24-member Board of Directors. There are 20 voting members and 4 non-voting members:
Interns are an important part of the DIA program. For-credit internship opportunities are usually available for students interested in marketing, special events and/or business development.
The Downtown Ithaca Alliance is a comprehensive downtown revitalization and management program engaged in four principal areas:
- Business Retention & Development
- Marketing & Membership Services
- Government Relations & Environmental Infrastructure
- Special Events
Business Retention & Development includes:
Business Recruitment & Attraction
Provide One-on-One Business Technical Assistance
Business Start-Up Assistance
Project Development & Facilitation
Key Property Revitalization
Marketing & Membership Services includes:
Merchant Communications & Liaison
Downtown Dollars Program
Government Relations & Environment includes:
Clean/Landscaping Supplemental Service
Safety & Security
Art in the Heart of the City
Community Special Events includes:
Ithaca Festival Craft Show
Summer Concert Series
Apple Harvest Festival
Each year the DIA prepares a work plan and budget to support these and other activities.
The DIA has prepared and approved a Downtown Ithaca 2020 Strategic Plan. This strategic plan provide the blueprint and guidelines for downtown development. Each annual work plan addresses a portion of this strategic plan.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
Margaret Mead, Anthropologist
(used with permission)
"If you don't like the news .... go out and make some of your own !!"
Wes "Scoop" Nisker, Newscaster
Government is a slow and tedious process. While it often includes citizen and neighborhood involvement, non-governmental, private organizations have created movements and interesting groups which can create positive change in our cities and towns.
I am fascinated by the way groups are created and how they influence public decision making. This blog merely recognizes them and forwards the description of these groups from their own websites.